dpreview has just posted their interview with Panasonic president Yosuke Yamane at Photokina 2018. They talked everything about Panasonic S1 and S1R and L-mount, and upcoming Panasonic cameras & lenses:
Below are highlight of this interview:
- [Full-frame] is a new challenge for us as an innovator. We believe that we can provide value in the full-frame camera market.
- S1 & S1R are specialized for professionals. That is a core target for us but we’re also targeting high-end amateurs and enthusiasts.
- Everything without compromise. Image quality, build quality, operability and performance.
- Operability without compromise.
- The advice from professionals is that they place more importance on performance, not size.
- We are targeting the very highest level of durability in the industry. [The S1/R] are 100% sealed against dust and water, and operate in very low temperatures – even exceeding the limits of the GH5.
- We decided that it was better to collaborate, than to create our own standalone mount.
- In M43, we prioritize compactness. But in full-frame we set higher targets, to meet professional specifications.
- Designing lenses for full-frame is more difficult than designing for Micro Four Thirds.
- We want to create a new photo culture for the digital generation.
- After the Olympics, we will create a new generation of 8K video cameras, which are currently in development.
You can read full interview at dpreview.